ARTT 127 - Art Appreciation (Art in Culture)
An appreciation of the visual arts through an aesthetic understanding of the various art forms and their historical development throughout the world. Assessment Level(s): ENGL 101 /ENGL 101A , READ 120 . Three hours each week. Formerly AR 127.
3 semester hours
Upon course completion, a student will be able to:
- Master a specialized vocabulary to enable an informed discussion of art.
- Distinguish between the uses and variations of symbolism, as well as between the forms of various artistic media.
- Trace historical periodicity according to its continuities and disjunctions.
- Distinguish and compare cultural differences found in works of art.
- Analyze the function and meaning of an art object in its cultural context.
- Identify and analyze works according to their salient styles, artists, and periods.
- Write coherent essays addressing visual analysis and stylistic comparison.
- Write a research paper drawing on a variety of print and electronic sources.
Click here for the Winter 2017 Class Schedule
Click here for the Extended Winter 2017 Class Schedule
Click here for the Fall 2017 Class Schedule
[Add to Favorites]