PHED 183 - Introduction to Cycling
Course includes skill development in efficient riding techniques, equipment selection, safety and crucial riding maneuvers, basic maintenance and repair, fitness training, touring, and trip planning with field trips to local bike trails. Students must provide a bike with five to ten or more speeds and transportation to off-campus bikeways. Three hours each week for 10 weeks. Formerly PE 194.
1 semester hour
Upon course completion, a student will be able to:
- Develop knowledge of the essential components of various types of bicycles which will enable them to select a bicycle and accessories appropriate to their needs and interests.
- Develop and improve safety awareness skills and emergency handling maneuvers for a variety of bicycling environment.
- Demonstrate basic and effective riding skills which will lead to efficient cycling.
- Perform basic routine maintenance procedures and minor bicycle repairs.
- Plan and implement short day trips on local bikeways and become familiar with opportunities and techniques for extended bicycle touring trips.
Click here for the Fall 2020 Class Schedule
Click here for the Extended Winter 2021 Class Schedule
Click here for the Winter 2021 Class Schedule
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)