PHED 206 - Principles and Practices of Health-Related Fitness
Covers fundamental principles of health-related fitness. Students develop individualized programs, acquire knowledge of relevant concepts and techniques, assess fitness status, utilize a variety of fitness equipment, and participate in physical activities to promote an understanding of the value of exercise and to encourage permanent lifestyle change. Note: Successful completion of course prepares student to sit for a variety of NCCA-approved Personal Trainer Exam certifications including one from the American Council on Exercise (ACE), American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), and National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM). Students should contact the departmental advisor before enrolling in this class. Assessment Level(s): ENGL 101 /ENGL 101A , MATH 050 , READ 120 . Three hours each week. Formerly PE 202.
3 semester hours
May not be taken concurrently withMATH 017 or MATH 020 or MATH 045 without appropriate Math assessment score.
Upon course completion, a student will be able to:
- Analyze current dietary habits and identify ways to improve his or her eating habits to promote optimal wellness.
- Assess his or her current fitness level and develop and evaluate a fitness program designed to improve his or her cardiorespiratory and muscular fitness levels
- Define and explain the importance to the health-related and skill-related components of fitness.
- Define hypokinetic disease and assess their lifestyle in order to identify and consider changes from behaviors contrary to optimal wellness to those that promote increased activity.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of human energy systems and the body’s utilization of its energy sources under varying conditions.
- Demonstrate safe and effective techniques with a variety of equipment personalized CR fitness program.
- Identify the short and long term effects derived from participation in exercises including changes to the cardiorespiratory system, muscles, and bones.
Click here for the Fall 2020 Class Schedule
Click here for the Extended Winter 2021 Class Schedule
Click here for the Winter 2021 Class Schedule
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)