PORT 101 - Elementary Portuguese I
(HUMD, GEIR, GEEL, [M])
This beginning language course focuses on the study of Portuguese language and Lusophone culture. Students begin to develop the ability to communicate in Portuguese through the consideration of cultural themes, language functions, and authentic situation as they acquire the structures and lexicon to work with written language, conversation, and composition. No prior knowledge of Portuguese is required. In-class work is supplemented by 20 hours of online homework. Three hours each week. Formerly PU 101.
3 semester hours
Upon course completion, a student will be able to:
- Communicate in the target language at an elementary level in the skill areas of reading writing, speaking, and listening.
- Apply linguistic structures supporting communication at an elementary level of proficiency.
- Express and appropriately employ the following language functions:
- a. Greetings
- b. Leave Takings
- c. Requesting information
- d. Asking for assistance
- e. Giving and receiving directions
- f. Expressing opinions
- Describe Lusophone culture and specific cultural practices at the elementary level by using simple sentences.
- Discuss the relationship between Lusophone cultural practices and products under consideration at the elementary level by using simple sentences.
- Exhibit appropriate sociolinguistic behaviors through oral presentations at the elementary level as these correspond to increasing linguistic ability in Portuguese.
- Produce and present a cultural project at the elementary level.
Click here for the Fall 2020 Class Schedule
Click here for the Extended Winter 2021 Class Schedule
Click here for the Winter 2021 Class Schedule
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)