Oct 23, 2020
RUSS 101 - Elementary Russian I
(HUMD, GEIR, GEEL, [M])
A beginning language course focusing on the study of Russian language and culture. Students begin to develop the ability to communicate in Russian through the consideration of cultural themes, language functions, and authentic situations as they acquire the structures and lexicon to work with written language, conversation, and composition. No prior knowledge of Russian is required. In-class work is supplemented by 20 hours of online homework. Three hours each week. Formerly RU 101.
3 semester hours
Upon course completion, a student will be able to:
- Communicate in the target language at an elementary level in the skill areas of reading, writing, speaking, and listening.
- Apply linguistic structures supporting communication at the elementary level of proficiency.
- Exhibit elementary proficiency in the production and recognition of the Cyrillic alphabet.
- Express and appropriately employ the following language functions: greeting, leave-taking, requesting information, asking for assistance, giving and receiving directions, and expressing opinions.
- Discuss Russian culture and specific cultural practices at the elementary level by using simple sentences.
- Discuss the relationship between the cultural practices and products under consideration at the elementary level by using simple sentences.
- Exhibit appropriate sociolinguistic behaviors through oral presentations at the elementary level as these correspond to increasing linguistic ability in Russian.
- Produce and present a cultural project at the elementary level.
Click here for the Fall 2020 Class Schedule
Click here for the Extended Winter 2021 Class Schedule
Click here for the Winter 2021 Class Schedule
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)