HINM 154 - Legal and Ethical Issues in Health Information Management
A course on the health record as a legal document. The student is introduced to the following: healthcare legal terminology, HIPAA (the Health Information Portability and Accountability Act), legal requirements for health record documentation, legal and ethical issues pertaining to the contents of the health record, privacy, confidentiality and security, accreditation/regulatory requirements, risk management, physician credentialing and professional ethics. PREREQUISITE(S): Admission to the Health Information Management (HIM) or Coding Certificate Program. Assessment Level(s): ENGL 101 /ENGL 101A . Two hours lecture, one hour laboratory each week.
2 semester hours
Upon course completion, students will be able to:
- Identify a complete health record according to organizational policies, external regulations and standards.
- Apply healthcare legal terminology.
- Identify the use of legal documents.
- Apply legal concepts and principles to the practice of HIM.
- Apply confidentiality, privacy and security measures and policies and procedures for internal and external use and exchange to protect electronic health information.
- Apply retention and destruction policies for health information.
- Apply system security policies according to departmental and organizational data/information standards.
- Apply policies and procedures surrounding issues of access and disclosure of protected health information.
- Analyze policies and procedures to ensure organizational compliance with regulations and standards.
- Collaborate with staff in preparing the organization for accreditation, licensure and/or certification.
- Adhere to the legal and regulatory requirements related to health information management.
- Identify potential abuse or fraudulent trends through data analysis.
Click here for the Fall 2019 Class Schedule
Click here for the Extended Winter 2020 Class Schedule
Click here for the Winter 2020 Class Schedule
Click here for the Spring 2020 Class Schedule
[Add to Favorites]