PHTH 102 - Basic Health Skills for the Physical Therapist Assistant
(TP/SS only) CE
Instruction in basic health skills used in physical therapy, including anatomical and movement terminology, and chemical, mechanical, and physical principles relative to body function. Skills and practice in body mechanics, patient positioning and transfers, gait training, bandaging, vital signs, and medical asepsis also included. PREREQUISITE(S): Admission to the physical therapist assistant program or consent of program coordinator or PHTH 101 . COREQUISITE(S): PHTH 104 , PHTH 112 , and PHTH 113 . Credit by exam offered to qualified individuals, determined by PTA Program Coordinator. Assessment Level(s): One hour lecture, two hours laboratory each week.
2 semester hours
Upon course completion, a student will be able to:
- Demonstrate proper safety procedures in simulated patient/client treatment scenarios.
- Develop proper body mechanics in all maneuvers involving patient and or equipment handling and moving.
- Formulate proper positioning and draping techniques for patients with a variety of problems across the lifespan.
- Demonstrate proper transfer and functional activities for patients with a variety of problems across the lifespan.
- Design proper range of motion (ROM) exercise for patients who are bed bound.
- Demonstrate proper use of a range of assistive devices for a variety of problems.
- Examine architectural barriers present within the local community and home.
- Demonstrate communication and professional behaviors consistent with established standards of practice.
Click here for the Fall 2022 Class Schedule
Click here for the Summer II 2022 Class Schedule
Click here for the Summer I 2022 Class Schedule
Click here for the Spring 2022 Class Schedule
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)