Mar 24, 2023
HINM 271 - Professional Practice Experience II
Supervised practice in the following health record functions: release of information, supervision, vital records, coding of medical data, data abstracting, DRG coding and assignment, and cancer registry activities. PREREQUISITE(S): HINM 170 , HINM 120 , HINM 155 , and HINM 165 , or consent of program coordinator. Requires 120 hours of combined supervision on campus and/or in a clinical setting. Formerly HI 211.
2 semester hours
Upon course completion, a student will be able to:
- Apply facility policies and procedures to ensure accuracy of health data.
- Conduct analysis per facility guidelines to ensure that documentation in the health record supports the diagnosis and reflects the patient’s progress, clinical findings and discharge status.
- Summarize and verify timeliness, completeness, accuracy and appropriateness of data and data sources for patient care, management, billing, reports, registries, and/or databases.
- Monitor and apply organization-wide health record documentation guidelines.
- Use and maintain electronic applications and work processes to support clinical classification and coding.
- Assess and ensure accuracy of diagnostic and procedural groupings.
- Validate coding accuracy using clinical information found in the health record.
- Identify and resolve discrepancies between coded data and supporting documentation.
- Differentiate the roles of various providers and disciplines throughout the continuum of healthcare and respond to their information needs.
- Interpret and apply facility policies and procedures for access and disclosure of personal health information.
- Organize and release patient-specific data to authorized users
- Identify and use specialized software in the completion of HIM processes such as record tracking, release of information, coding, grouping, registries, billing, quality improvement and imaging.
- Apply facility policies and procedures to the use of networks, including intranet and Internet applications, to facilitate the electronic health record, personal health record, public health and other administrative applications.
- Support and participate in the planning, design, evaluation and support for electronic health records.
View Schedule of Classes
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)