PHED 250 - Prevention and Management of Exercise Injuries
Concepts of prevention, recognition, treatment, and management of injuries and physical disabilities, which affect physical activity and conditioning. Course will include medical history and physical assessment, as well as, adaptations for training and program design needed for various diseases, functional disabilities, injuries, and functional imbalances for the prevention of injuries and safe physical conditioning. This course includes both theoretical and practical aspects of exercise design and program development for healthy populations and those populations with special needs. PREREQUISITE(S): HLTH 220 , PHED 230 , PHED 237 , or consent of department. Three hours each week. Formerly PE 250.
3 semester hours
Upon course completion, a student will be able to:
- Explain the vital role of client evaluation and proper conditioning in injury prevention.
- Pre-screen apparently healthy and individuals with medical concerns for possible conditions requiring physician consent and/or modification to exercise protocols.
- Describe precautions/contraindications of past medical history as it affects physical activity.
- Demonstrate initial injury/illness assessments, especially with regards to severity .
- Demonstrate understanding of effect of environment on body systems and ability to modify training session to compensate.
- Discuss various types of injuries involving skeletal and/or muscular systems.
- Demonstrate understanding of the effects of injury and the healing process as they affect physical activity and program design.
- Evaluate posture and demonstrate ability to adjust training to improve positioning.
- Prepare a comprehensive individualized training program with consideration for medical history and related impairments.
- Explain recommended policies and procedures for exercises and program design for special populations such as pregnancy, CHD, COPD, Asthma, arthritis, and obesity.
- Demonstrate ability to review and apply information obtained from professional literature in health/exercise science
Click here for the Fall 2021 Class Schedule
Click here for the Summer II 2021 Class Schedule
Click here for the Summer I 2021 Class Schedule
Click here for the Spring 2021 Class Schedule
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)