BIOL 230 - Molecular Cell Biology
A detailed study of the molecular structure and function of the eukaryotic cell including cell ultrastructure, molecular genetic mechanisms and techniques, structure of chromosomes and genes and transcriptional as well as posttranscriptional control of gene expression, structure of biomembranes and movement of molecules into and through cellular membranes, cell signaling mechanisms, cytoskeletal systems and cellular movement, interactions, division, lineage and death of cells, molecular cell biology of development, of nerve cells, of immunology and of cancer. PREREQUISITE(S):
PRE- or COREQUISITE(S): BIOL 222 . Three hours lecture, three hours laboratory each week.
4 semester hours
Upon course completion, a student will be able to:
- Recognize and describe properties of the major classes of biologically important macromolecules, including their roles in the building, sorting, modification, self-assembly, and degradation of cellular components.
- Describe the significance of structure, mechanism, and functionality of biological membranes.
- Discuss the cytoskeletal system, molecular and structural basis of cellular motility and contractility in various cell/tissue types, cellular junctions, and extracellular matrix.
- Explain, in depth, structural basis of DNA, DNA packaging and control, nucleus, flow of information, regulation of gene expression at transcriptional, translational, and posttranslational levels for both prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells.
- Develop a comprehensive knowledge of signal transduction.
- Discuss cell division, cell cycle control and programmed cell death in depth, cancer, and its genetic basis.
- Demonstrate technological skills, instrument proficiency and knowledge of experimental approaches in the field of molecular cell biology to gain a better understanding of the pathogenic mechanism and potential treatments/cures of diseases.
Click here for the Fall 2022 Class Schedule
Click here for the Summer II 2022 Class Schedule
Click here for the Summer I 2022 Class Schedule
Click here for the Spring 2022 Class Schedule
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)