EDUC 135 - Child Growth and Development
Provides students with the principles of child growth and development necessary to work in programs serving children from infancy through age eight. It emphasizes the physical, intellectual, emotional, and social development of children and their implications for developmentally appropriate teaching practices in educational settings. Attention is given to observation methods and their application in the completion of a case study of one child in a classroom environment. Students who pass the course with the final grade of “C” or better will receive 45 of the 90 classroom hours needed to become senior staff in programs licensed by the Office of Child Care Licensing and Regulations. Assessment Level(s): ENGL 101 /ENGL 011 , READ 120 . Three hours lecture/discussion each week.
3 semester hours
Upon course completion, a student will be able to:
- Discuss the major principles of several theories of child development and learning.
- Identify ways teachers can use each theory to enhance children’s development and learning.
- Articulate four areas of development and individual difference in children’s growth and learning.
- Outline the milestones of physical growth and motor development of children from birth to eight years of age.
- Explain the cognitive development of children from birth to eight years of age.
- Outline the milestones of language development of children from birth to eight years of age.
- Describe the social and emotional development of children from birth to eight years of age.
- List developmental characteristics and needs of children.
- Describe the multiple influences on children’s development and learning.
- Identify methods of child study and use the observation methods to observe children effectively.
- Identify the essential adult role in children’s learning and development.
- Observe, document, and evaluate a child’s learning and development in a real classroom setting.
Click here for the Fall 2022 Class Schedule
Click here for the Summer II 2022 Class Schedule
Click here for the Summer I 2022 Class Schedule
Click here for the Spring 2022 Class Schedule
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)