EDUC 136 - Curriculum Planning in Early Childhood Education
Provides the student with an overview of the principles of developmentally appropriate curriculum planning for programs serving children from infancy and pre-K through age five. Specifically, this course emphasizes activity planning, teaching methods, material selection, assessment techniques, and classroom management appropriate for use in early childhood programs. Attention is also given to staff and parent communication and community resources. Students who pass the course with the final grade of “C” or better will receive 45 of the 90 classroom hours needed to become senior staff in programs licensed by the Office of Child Care Licensing and Regulation. 15 hours of documented field experience in a birth-through five or pre-K program are required. PREREQUISITE(S): EDUC 135 or consent of department. Three hours lecture/discussion each week.
3 semester hours
Upon course completion, a student will be able to:
- Name and describe the variety of programs in early childhood education.
- Identify teachers’ roles and responsibilities and the essentials of successful teaching.
- Explain ideals and principles of the NAEYC Code of Ethical Conduct.
- Outline guidelines for establishing positive relationships with families and community.
- Create a safe, healthy, and multicultural environment for children.
- Use skills of room arrangement, transitions, and interactions to manage an encouraging classroom.
- Describe the values of play and a teacher’s role in children’s play.
- Write weekly lesson plans to promote physical and motor, social, emotional, and cognitive development in young children.
- Plan and demonstrate circle time and small group activities for promoting learning outcomes for all young children.
- Articulate key points of the NAEYC standards of developmentally appropriate programs.
- Use NAEYC standards to evaluate teaching practices, curriculum, and professional values observed in the real early childhood settings.
Click here for the Fall 2022 Class Schedule
Click here for the Summer II 2022 Class Schedule
Click here for the Summer I 2022 Class Schedule
Click here for the Spring 2022 Class Schedule
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)