GDES 212 - Publication Design with InDesign
A practical application of design fundamentals for single and multipage publications. Students use industry standard page assembly software while creating well-designed layouts for publications of all kinds. In addition to the functions of the software, topics include typography, graphics, color, aesthetic page flow, and transition design. PREREQUISITE(S): ARTT 116 /GDES 116 or consent of department. Two hours lecture, four hours laboratory each week.
4 semester hours
Upon course completion, a student will be able to:
- Employ the use of basic tools within the application.
- Demonstrate basic design principles.
- Apply design grids to specific publication needs.
- Describe major type classifications.
- Compare and demonstrate the appropriate use of fonts.
- Demonstrate the use of all typographic controls.
- Apply vector and bitmap graphics to page design.
- Use graphics libraries.
- Demonstrate the use of links to external graphics.
- Employ the use of transparency, feathering, and blending.
- Create document formats consistent with design needs.
- Employ the use of ‘styles’ in type and document format.
- Create master pages for design flow consistency.
- Apply master page modifications to existing documents.
- Evaluate the impact of color choices.
- Employ the use of ‘spot’ and ‘process’ colors.
- Create and employ tint swatches.
- Employ the use of gradients to achieve desired effects.
- Demonstrate grayscale image colorization.
- Apply effective design principles to multiple pages.
- Apply text and design flow to consecutive pages.
- Assess assembly and design flow using paper dummies.
- Demonstrate document preflight procedures.
- Describe document exporting procedures.
- Employ soft-proofing methods.
- Interpret standard proof reader’s marks.
- Evaluate hard copy proofs.
Click here for the Fall 2022 Class Schedule
Click here for the Summer II 2022 Class Schedule
Click here for the Summer I 2022 Class Schedule
Click here for the Spring 2022 Class Schedule
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)