Mar 23, 2023
HMGT 101 - Introduction to the Hospitality Industry
Introduction to the hospitality field including the historical development, opportunities and challenges, current trends, and regulations governing the industry. Analysis of functions performed at the three levels of organization within the hotel-institutional organization and the role of domestic and international chains. Assessment Level(s): ENGL 101 /ENGL 011 , READ 120 . Three hours each week.
3 semester hours
Upon course completion, a student will be able to:
- Describe what career opportunities are available in the hospitality industry.
- Discuss the size and scope of the travel and tourism industry and explain how the hospitality industry fits into this larger industry.
- Summarize why people travel and why they place demands on a destination’s infrastructure and superstructure.
- Explain the development of the modern lodging industry and identify the different lodging components.
- Describe what franchising is and how it has helped lodging and food service chains to grow.
- Describe a management contract and explain the owner-management company relationship from a legal and day-to-day perspective.
- Explain the development and growth of the food service industry.
- Discuss the range of commercial food service offerings and explain what multi-branding is.
- Identify the differences between commercial and institutional food services.
- Describe the varied institutional food service operations.
View Schedule of Classes
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)