ELAS 990 - English Language Academic Speaking/Listening III
A course in advanced speaking and listening skills in English, with emphasis on presenting, comprehending, and responding to oral argument and other types of academic discourse. Within this framework, the course expands students' vocabulary in a variety of academic and professional fields and enhances note-taking skills. Additional laboratory required.
PREREQUISITE(S): ELAS 980 with a minimum grade of C or placement by testing required by the College of non-native speakers of English. PRE- or COREQUISITE(S): ELAR 980 or ELAW 980 , or placement by testing required by the College for non-native speakers of English. Five hours each week. Formerly EL 111, AELS 930.
5 semester hours
FIVE EQUIVALENT CREDIT HOURS. NOT APPLICABLE TO A DEGREE OR CERTIFICATE. MAY NOT BE USED TO SATISFY DEGREE REQUIREMENTS. NOT INCLUDED IN GPA CALCULATION.
Upon course completion, students will be able to:
- Discuss, in a clear and organized manner, a wide range of academic topics.
- Identify the organizational structure of college-level lectures.
- Demonstrate note-taking competency.
- Perform speaking tasks demonstrating fluency and control of English grammar.
- Use lecture notes to participate in group discussions, oral presentations, and written tasks.
- Use new academic vocabulary in appropriate oral and written contexts.
Click here for the Spring 2018 Class Schedule
Click here for the Winter 2018 Class Schedule
Click here for the Extended Winter 2018 Class Schedule
Click here for the Fall 2017 Class Schedule
[Add to Favorites]