Oct 28, 2020
AUTO 180 - Basic Engine Performance
(R only) CE
Concentrates on engine mechanical evaluation and electronic engine control. First half of the class discusses fluid leaks, engine noises, engine vibration, and exhaust smoke. Lubrication, induction, and cooling system assessment is also included. Second half of the class discusses PCMs, scanners, DTCs, and open- versus closed-loop mode. Sensor types, operation, diagnosis, and replacement are covered. Laboratory exercises emphasize current service and diagnostic procedures. PRE- or COREQUISITE(S): AUTO 101 and AUTO 161 . Two hours lecture, three hours laboratory, one hour discussion each week. Formerly AT 180.
4 semester hours
Upon course completion, a student will be able to:
- Determine cause of engine fluid leaks.
- Identify source of abnormal engine sounds.
- Diagnose cause of abnormal engine vibrations.
- Determine oil condition and pressure.
- Verify correct crank and cam timing.
- Verify engine vacuum at idle and under load.
- Perform and interpret results of a power balance test.
- Perform and interpret results of a compression test.
- Perform and interpret results of a cylinder leakage test.
- Perform and interpret results of a cooling system pressure test.
- Verify correct operation of cooling fan and clutch.
- Retrieve serial data using scanner.
- Retrieve DTCs and freeze-frame data using scanner.
- Interpret serial and freeze-frame data.
- Diagnose DTCs using DTC charts.
- Verify proper feed and ground voltage for PCM and sensors.
- Describe purpose, operation, and diagnosis of common sensors.
- Inspect, test, and replace oxygen sensors.
- Inspect, test, and replace various temperature sensors.
- Inspect, test, and replace various position sensors.
- Inspect, test, and replace various pressure sensors.
- Inspect, test, and replace various airflow sensors.
- Inspect, test, and replace various motion sensors.
Click here for the Fall 2020 Class Schedule
Click here for the Extended Winter 2021 Class Schedule
Click here for the Winter 2021 Class Schedule
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)