ELAI 990 - English Language Advanced Integrated Skills
An advanced integrated skills course in Academic American English for non- native speakers of English. Emphasis on reading and aural comprehension of academic input and appropriate use of academic English in writing expository essays and short responses to readings and lectures. PREREQUISITE(S): ELAW 980 , ELAR 980 , and ELAS 980 with a grade of C or better or AELW 930 with a grade of C or better and AELR 930 and AELS 920 with a grade of D or better or placement by testing required by the college for non-native speakers of English
Six hours each week. Formerly EL 104, AELW 940.
6 semester hours
SIX EQUIVALENT CREDIT HOURS. NOT APPLICABLE TO A DEGREE OR CERTIFICATE. MAY NOT BE USED TO SATISFY DEGREE REQUIREMENTS. NOT INCLUDED IN GPA CALCULATION.
Upon course completion, students will be able to:
- Apply reading skills to understand the content of college level texts.
- Use target academic vocabulary appropriately.
- Use critical thinking skills to paraphrase, summarize, synthesize and respond to information from multiple readings including charts and graphs orally and/or in writing.
- Demonstrate control of a variety of sentence structures, with academic vocabulary and collocations appropriate for college-level writing.
- Produce a variety of multi-paragraph compositions of at least 400 words, both inside and outside of class, with well-developed explanations, descriptions, examples, and details with unity and coherence.
- Use sources to support ideas by using signal phrases, direct quotes, and paraphrased language when incorporating the words or ideas of others.
- Identify, locate and edit errors in grammar and punctuation.
- Use a variety of listening skills to comprehend lectures and other video/audio sources.
- Speak easily and articulately, self- correcting pronunciation and speech patterns for successful communication in academic settings.
Click here for the Summer I 2020 Class Schedule
Click here for the Summer II 2020 Class Schedule
Click here for the Fall 2020 Class Schedule
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)