ASLP 121 - Introduction to the Deaf Community and Culture
(BSSD [M]) (R only)
Provides a broad introduction to concepts related to the Deaf, Deaf culture, and the languages of people within Deaf communities in particular and Deaf society in general. The course examines current issues and languages in the Deaf community, including technology and diversity. Assessment Level(s): ENGL 101 /ENGL 101A , READ 120 . Formerly SL 121.
3 semester hours
Upon completion of this course a student will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of how Deaf people interact among themselves.
- Identify fundamental features of Deaf language and culture.
- Compare the Deaf community with other diverse communities.
- Demonstrate a culture understanding of practices, products, and perspectives appropriate to the culture in which ASL is used.
- Compare and assess ASL use in the community.
- Discuss current issues within the Deaf community.
- Identify the contribution of Deaf Americans.
- Describe the technologies utilized by Deaf people.
Click here for the Summer I 2020 Class Schedule
Click here for the Summer II 2020 Class Schedule
Click here for the Fall 2020 Class Schedule
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)