Dec 05, 2021
GDES 216 - Illustrator for Vector Graphics
An in-depth study of vector graphics creation. Students design, create, and manipulate images for integration in publication layout and design, web output, use in other software packages, or immediate output. Topics include vector imaging tools, technical illustration, bitmap to vector conversion, typography, and output considerations. PREREQUISITE(S): None, but previous computer experience is necessary. Two hours lecture, four hours laboratory each week. Formerly GD 216.
4 semester hours
Upon course completion, a student will be able to:
- Employ pen tool characteristics and available options.
- Demonstrate operations with all drawing and editing tools.
- Demonstrate the use of all selection tools.
- Employ the precision functions to position, manage, and manipulate paths.
- Identify all color spaces used in Adobe Illustrator.
- Explain and utilize all color-related palettes, tools and options.
- Create, modify, and manage colors, gradients, and gradient mesh.
- Demonstrate organizing and manipulating multiple paths and objects.
- Demonstrate the blend tool.
- Explain output limitations when using blends and gradients.
- Identify the function and use of layers.
- Employ multiple layer images.
- Demonstrate operations with all transformation tools and options.
- Demonstrate the use of transparency and clipping masks.
- Demonstrate importing bitmap images (embedded and linked).
- Demonstrate converting vector objects into bitmap objects and vice versa.
- Explain differences between filters and effects.
- Demonstrate the use of filters and effects for creative modification.
- Demonstrate effects to create and modify styles.
- Demonstrate the use of brushes, patterns, and symbols.
- Demonstrate creating and modifying brushes, patterns, and symbols.
- Explain differences between type tools.
- Demonstrate type and text operations.
- Apply document and page set up settings.
- Identify output options.
- Employ output controls for appropriate output devices.
- Create Illustrator artwork that prints with expected results.
Click here for the Spring 2022 Class Schedule
Click here for the Winter 2022 Class Schedule
Click here for the Fall 2021 Class Schedule
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)