AUTO 140 - Suspension and Steering
(R only) CE
Preparation for ASE A-4 Suspension and Steering technician certification exam. Discusses purpose, parts, operation, and failure diagnosis of automotive suspension and steering systems. Topics include inspection, service, repair, and replacement of suspension system links, control arms, ball joints, bushings, shocks, struts, and springs. Steering columns, linkages, gearboxes, rack and pinion assemblies, pumps, lines, and hoses are covered. Two- and four-wheel alignment is included. Laboratory exercises emphasize current service and diagnostic procedures. PRE- or COREQUISITE(S): AUTO 101 . Three hours lecture, four hours laboratory each week. Formerly AT 140.
5 semester hours
Upon course completion, a student will be able to:
- Identify and interpret suspension system concern.
- Identify and interpret steering system concern.
- Locate and utilize appropriate service information to diagnose brake system concerns (TSBs, vehicle service history, service procedures, and cautions).
- Diagnose suspension system noises.
- Remove, inspect, and replace control arms.
- Remove, inspect, and replace suspension system links.
- Test, remove, inspect, and replace ball joints.
- Remove, inspect, and replace bushings.
- Remove, inspect, and replace shocks and struts including hardware.
- Remove, inspect, and replace coil and leaf springs.
- Remove, inspect, replace, and adjust torsion bars.
- Remove, inspect, and replace air springs.
- Diagnose tire wear patterns.
- Check and adjust inflation pressure.
- Identify tire rotation pattern.
- Rotate tires.
- Dismount, mount, and balance tire on wheel.
- Inspect and repair tire.
- Diagnose wheel shimmy or vibration.
- Measure tire, wheel, axle, and hub runout.
- Remove and replace steering wheel.
- Remove, disassemble, repair, and replace steering column.
- Diagnose incorrect operation of steering gearbox.
- Inspect, remove, repair, and replace steering gearbox.
- Diagnose incorrect operation of rack and pinion assembly.
- Inspect, remove, repair, and replace rack and pinion assembly.
- Inspect, repair, and replace steering shaft assembly.
- Inspect, remove, repair, and replace power steering pump.
- Flush, fill, and bleed power steering hydraulic system.
- Inspect, remove, and replace steering linkages.
- Perform two-wheel alignment.
- Perform four-wheel alignment.
Click here for the Summer I 2020 Class Schedule
Click here for the Summer II 2020 Class Schedule
Add to Favorites