CHIN 101 - Elementary Chinese I
(HUMD, GEIR, GEEL, [M])
Beginning language course focusing on the study of Chinese language and culture. Students begin to develop the ability to communicate in Chinese through the consideration of cultural themes, language functions, and authentic situations as they acquire the structures and lexicon to work with written language, conversation, and composition. No prior knowledge of Chinese is required. In-class work is supplemented by 20 hours of online homework. Five hours each week. Formerly CN 101.
5 semester hours
Upon course completion, a student will be able to:
- Communicate in the target language at an elementary level in the skill areas of listening, speaking, reading and writing.
- Apply grammatical structures supporting communication at the elementary level of proficiency.
- Express and appropriately employ basic language functions in speech and in writing at the elementary level. These functions include greetings, leave-taking, and requesting information, talking about self and family, asking for assistance, giving and receiving directions.
- Describe the Chinese culture and specific cultural practices at the elementary level by using simple sentences.
- Exhibit appropriate sociolinguistic behaviors through oral presentations at the elementary level as these correspond to increasing linguistic ability in Chinese.
- Produce and present a cultural project at the elementary level.
Click here for the Summer I 2020 Class Schedule
Click here for the Summer II 2020 Class Schedule
Click here for the Fall 2020 Class Schedule
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)