ELAS 980 - English Language Academic Speaking/Listening II
Emphasizes the development and use of language skills necessary for understanding others and expressing oneself orally in American English in academic, professional, and social contexts. The course includes vocabulary development, practice with appropriate language structures, and discussion of important aspects of cross-cultural communication. Additional laboratory required.
PREREQUISITE(S): ELAS 970 or AELS 910 with a grade of C or better or placement by testing required by the College of non-native speakers of English. PRE- or COREQUISITE(S): ELAR 970 , ELAW 970 , or placement by testing required by the College for non-native speakers of English. Five hours each week. Formerly EL 110, AELS 920.
5 semester hours
FIVE EQUIVALENT CREDIT HOURS. NOT APPLICABLE TO A DEGREE OR CERTIFICATE. MAY NOT BE USED TO SATISFY DEGREE REQUIREMENTS. NOT INCLUDED IN GPA CALCULATION.
Upon course completion, students will be able to:
- Use targeted American English idioms and academic vocabulary with control of basic spoken English grammar.
- Demonstrate competency in academic listening and note-taking appropriate for college-level courses.
- Participate effectively and appropriately in class as group members and presenters by discussing basic points and opinions.
- Use communication strategies to identify and explain misunderstandings in collaborative communication.
- Fluently and accurately use targeted academic vocabulary in oral communication.
- Independently create presentations and supporting documents using digital media.
Click here for the Fall 2019 Class Schedule
Click here for the Extended Winter 2020 Class Schedule
Click here for the Winter 2020 Class Schedule
Click here for the Spring 2020 Class Schedule
[Add to Favorites]