POSM 207 - Legal and Ethical Issues for Sleep Technologists
An introduction to the legal aspects and ethical issues that pertain to the field of sleep medicine technology. Emphasis is placed on how to navigate the provision of high-quality patient care while being mindful of the scope of practice for polysomnographic technologists. Clinical and managerial aspects of this topic are also discussed. PRE- or COREQUISITE(S): POSM 102 or consent of department. Assessment Level(s): ENGL 101 /ENGL 101A and READ 120 . Three hours each week.
3 semester hours
Upon completion of the class, the student will be able to:
- Identify ethical issues that are applicable to sleep technologists.
- Identify legal issues affecting sleep health professionals.
- Recognize the difference between morality and ethics.
- Explain the expected behaviors of sleep technologists in a patient care setting.
- Identify HIPAA guidelines in respective to sleep health professionals.
- Navigate the social media terrain.
- Define consent and the various types consent.
- Define the role of a sleep health professional in sleep research.
Click here for the Summer I 2020 Class Schedule
Click here for the Summer II 2020 Class Schedule
Click here for the Fall 2020 Class Schedule
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)