Oct 19, 2020
NWIT 151 - Introduction to Networking
(G only) CE
An introduction to networking technologies. This course covers the basics of networking, the open systems interconnection (OSI) reference model, transmission control protocol/Internet protocol (TCP/IP) addressing, electricity, specifications and techniques of building data cabling, and local area network/wide area network (LAN/WAN) technologies. Assessment Level(s): MATH 050 Three hours each week. Formerly NW 151.
3 semester hours
May not be taken concurrently with MATH 017 or MATH 020 or MATH 045 without appropriate Math assessment score.
Upon course completion, a student will be able to:
- Describe the common network devices, the OSI model, common network protocols, features of LANs and WANs, types of network topologies, and bandwidth.
- Describe the electrical properties of conductors, semiconductors, and insulators and describe the characteristics of networking media.
- Describe the types of waves characteristic of network media, attenuation, impedance, noise, and crosstalk.
- Perform basic network media cable testing.
- Describe the characteristics of Ethernet networks and client/server networks, the function of network devices and router serial ports, and the characteristics of WAN technologies.
- Describe the basics of Ethernet technologies, the framing process, MAC, CSMA/CD, the types of duplex, and 10/100/1000/10000BPS Ethernet technologies.
- Describe Ethernet bridging and switching.
- Describe TCP/IP protocol suite and IP addressing.
- Describe routing fundamentals, router functions, routing protocols, data encapsulation process, IP packet structure, and router path selection.
- Describe subnetting.
- Describe TCP/IP transport layer and application layers.
- Be prepared for more specialized networking tracks such as wireless technologies, systems engineering/administration (Microsoft track), network engineering/administration (Cisco track), or security management.
Click here for the Fall 2020 Class Schedule
Click here for the Extended Winter 2021 Class Schedule
Click here for the Winter 2021 Class Schedule
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)