ARTT 127 - Art Appreciation (Art in Culture)
(ARTD, GEIR, GEEL, [M])
An appreciation of the visual arts through an aesthetic understanding of the various art forms and their historical development throughout the world. Assessment Level(s): ENGL 101 /ENGL 101A , READ 120 . Three hours each week. Formerly AR 127.
3 semester hours
Upon course completion, a student will be able to:
- Master a specialized vocabulary to enable an informed discussion of art.
- Distinguish between the uses and variations of symbolism, as well as between the forms of various artistic media.
- Trace historical periodicity according to its continuities and disjunctions.
- Distinguish and compare cultural differences found in works of art.
- Analyze the function and meaning of an art object in its cultural context.
- Identify and analyze works according to their salient styles, artists, and periods.
- Write coherent essays addressing visual analysis and stylistic comparison.
- Write a research paper drawing on a variety of print and electronic sources.
Click here for the Summer I 2020 Class Schedule
Click here for the Summer II 2020 Class Schedule
Add to Favorites