MUSC 141 - Class Piano
(R only) CE
Functional piano training for beginners, using methods and materials suitable for public school teaching. Basic keyboard skills for development of ability to improvise accompaniments, transpose, sight read, and play by ear. Technical studies and repertoire of elementary piano pieces. Required of all students in music education. MUSC 141 offered fall semester; MUSC 142 offered spring semester. Four hours class instruction each week. Formerly MU 106.
2 semester hours
Upon course completion, a student will be able to:
- Develop basic music skills which include basic note reading and rhythm skills in addition to understanding legato and staccato, dynamics, slurs, and ties.
- Develop a basic piano technique which will include playing 5 finger scales, basic chords and cadences.
- Develop basic keyboard skills which includes beginner harmonization of melodies, transposition, and sight-reading.
- Play simple pieces using simple meters with right-hand melodies and left-hand accompaniments.
- Use a basic piano technique which includes correct posture and hand position.
Click here for the Fall 2020 Class Schedule
Click here for the Extended Winter 2021 Class Schedule
Click here for the Winter 2021 Class Schedule
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)