Feb 23, 2024
HINM 200 - Professional Practice Experience I
Supervised practice in a health information department. The student will perform functions related to the analysis and reporting requirements for health records, the storage and retrieval of health records, and the patient admission process. PREREQUISITE(S): Consent of program coordinator. Requires 60 hours of combined supervision on campus and/or in a clinical setting.
1 semester hour
Upon course completion, a student will be able to:
- Perform patient index procedures according to written and/or verbal instruction in both manual and computerized systems, noting differences in each system.
- File records and reports according to written and/or verbal instructions.
- Observe activities related to the admission of patients to a health care facility.
- Analyze health records correctly using a local hospital standard operating procedure.
- Apply a hospital’s suspension polity to problem situations and ascertain the correct course of action.
- Prepare an analytical report of the suspension process in a local health facility, including a literature search, bibliography, sample forms collection and interviews with department managers.
- Participate in activities related to the tabulation and reporting of incomplete health records.
- Describes the clinical setting of the placement with a focus on the managerial aspects of maintaining records and new learning’s from the experience.
- Prepare a job description for one of the activities covered in the course.
- Analyze charts using a simulated hospital procedure.
View Schedule of Classes
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)