IERW 001 - Integrated Reading and Writing I
A developmental course for native speakers of English designed to improve reading and writing skills. This course integrates the critical reading and writing skills students need to comprehend and interact with college-level texts and to produce original college-level writing in standard written English. Writing skills start at the sentence and paragraph level and culminate in multi-paragraph essays. Upon successful completion, students will advance to IERW 002 or ENGL 101 or ENGL 101A according to discipline guidelines.
PREREQUISITE(S): Placement through assessment testing: Accuplacer English score of 0 - 79.9 and Accuplacer Reading score between 53 and 65. Six hours each week.
6 semester hours
SIX EQUIVALENT CREDIT HOURS. NOT APPLICABLE TO A DEGREE OR CERTIFICATE. MAY NOT BE USED TO SATISFY DEGREE REQUIREMENTS. NOT INCLUDED IN GPA CALCULATION.
Upon course completion, students will be able to:
- Apply techniques in pre-reading, note-taking, vocabulary development, and visual and graphic aid analysis for enhanced comprehension of academic texts for content area study and written assessments.
- Annotate academic and content area text to analyze learned material for study, test preparation, research, summaries, and essay notes.
- Identify tone, develop valid inferences, and identify and apply abstract ideas to evaluate a variety of college-level texts and discuss the abstract ideas from the readings to develop details for written responses, summaries and essay supports.
- Create notes by identifying, organizing, and synthesizing major ideas supports from a variety of texts in order to develop viewpoints on a topic or theme, using effective organizational patterns.
- Write original paragraphs and multi-paragraph essays (both in-class and out-of-class) that incorporate effective rhetorical strategies, based on audience and purpose.
- Identify and correct significant grammar, usage, mechanics, and punctuation errors in own writing and incorporate feedback when revising writing.
Click here for the Spring 2019 Class Schedule
Click here for the Summer I 2019 Class Schedule
Click here for the Summer II 2019 Class Schedule
Click here for the Fall 2019 Class Schedule
[Add to Favorites]