Oct 02, 2023
FIRE 101 - Principles of Emergency Services
(R only) CE-R
Provides an overview to fire protection and emergency services; career opportunities in fire protection and related fields; philosophy and history of fire protection and emergency services; fire loss analysis; organization and function of public and private fire protection and emergency services; fire/rescue departments as part of local government; laws and regulations affecting the fire service; fire and emergency service nomenclature; specific fire protection functions; basic fire chemistry and physics; introduction to fire protection systems; introduction to fire strategy and tactics. Assessment Level(s): ENGL 101 /ENGL 101A , READ 120 . Three hours each week. Formerly FS 101.
3 semester hours
Upon course completion, a student will be able to:
- Illustrate and explain the history and culture of the fire service.
- Discuss and describe the scope, purpose, and organizational structure of fire and emergency services
- Identify fire protection and emergency-service careers in both the public and in the private sector.
- Analyze the basic components of fire as a chemical chain reaction, the major phases of fire, and examine the main factors that influence fire spread and fire behavior.
- Describe the common types of fire and emergency services facilities, equipment, and apparatus.
- Compare and contrast effective management concepts for various emergency situations.
- Differentiate between fire service training and education and explain the value of higher education to the professionalization of the fire service.
- List and describe the major organizations that provide emergency response service and illustrate how they interrelate.
- Define the role of national, State and local support organizations in fire and emergency services.
- Identify the primary responsibilities of fire prevention personnel including, code enforcement, public information, and public and private protection systems.
- Recognize the components of career preparation and goal setting.
- Describe the importance of wellness and fitness as it relates to emergency services.
View Schedule of Classes
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)